Welcome

With grateful hearts, we share our thoughts on redemption through Jesus Christ and His saving blood and what it looks like in our daily walk.

We gladly welcome your comments and input.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AND since we hold our conservative values dear, we might have a thing or two to say about politics... and we can almost guarantee it won't be politically correct.



Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Back to Basics Part 1

I Timothy 4:8 Physical exercise is good, but spiritual exercise is much better, for it promises a reward both in this life and the next. 9 This is a trustworthy saying, and everyone should accept it. 10 This is why we work hard and continue to struggle, for our hope is in the living God, who is the Savior of all people and particularly of all believers. NLT

Life gets busy, very busy for most people. Jobs, families, volunteer work, activities...the list goes on. Then on top of that many of us try to exercise regularly to stay in shape, or lose weight, but are we exercising spiritually? Ed Young has a saying I really like, “you feed what you want to grow and you starve what you want to kill.”

I believe there are a lot of people out there that are so caught up in the next activity, the next task at work, the next t-ball game, the next mile on the treadmill, the next best Christian book that they are failing to devote time, much less enough time to exercising spiritually as Paul has instructed us to do in 1 Tim. 4:8. If we don’t exercise spiritually we can’t fight the good fight of faith because we won’t have worked our faith out and it will be weak.

What is keeping you from reading the Word? How much time do you devote to spiritual exercise? Is it more or less than physical exercise or other extra curricular activities?

3 comments:

Meems said...

NT: SOOOO, you want to ask the tough questions do you?

How easy it is to get caught up in everyday living (the list you mentioned) and leave out THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS.

I’m a believer in fitness in every area… mind, body and spirit. In keeping with Paul’s mentality of disciplining our bodies (ICor9:27); "practicing self control in order to run this race (of life) to win."

Then he had so many great instructions for Timothy… "Soldiers don’t get tied up in the affairs of civilian life, for then they cannot please the officer who enlisted them. And athletes cannot win the prize unless they follow the rules… Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth."

We are taught elsewhere to renew our minds; to think on things that are lovely; to take our thoughts captive; as a man thinks – so is he…

It’s ALL important. BUT I don’t think I’d probably think this way if I didn’t make sure I spent my time with God and His word on a daily basis. He consistently imparts these Truths as I spend time with Him.

Being with God is a lifestyle. For me it intertwines with everything I do and the decisions I make. He lives in me in the person of the Holy Spirit and He goes with me everywhere I go. He hears everything I say and knows every thought that trickles through my brain.

All that to say, it is my number one priority of each day to acknowledge God and to take time to be WITH Him. It is the place in my day first thing when I focus on Him. In turn I am built up, encouraged, strengthened, focused, centered and spiritually fit for my day. I don’t leave Him behind in that quiet place… I am ever aware of His presence in my everyday living.

Good answer, eh? So as not to sound super-spiritual… even though it is my purpose to set aside time with God with no interruptions and it is my typical start to my day – it doesn’t always happen. Gasp! I do let busyness and other obligations get in the way of my separated time with God on occasion. Does God chastise me for that? No. I am always talking with God throughout my day. I don’t live in condemnation… I have a “relationship” with God who is my Father. What matters to Him is that I am in tune with Him… listening to His voice…loving Him and as you said, NT, fighting the good fight of faith. And when I get off track --- I get back on track so I can stay strong.

This was a good reminder post! Thanks for the urging to be spiritually fit and to be ready to fight the good fight of faith.

Sorry about my long-winded comment
:-)Alas...

Jane said...

I typed up this nice comment, but it has disappeared into cyberspace. Hmmmm...maybe tomorrow I will recreate it. Anyway, good post and thanks for the reminder NT.

mlm said...

Well, personally I don't spend any time on physical exercise...(note to self: start exercising).

But I do have a mental exercise regimen and a to-do list a mile long, so your post really made me stop and think.

And this morning, I put first things first and did some spiritual exercise BEFORE trying to tackle my day.

Reminds me of the old saying..."Whatever you do first always gets done."

Thanks for the post, NT.