Welcome

With grateful hearts, we share our thoughts on redemption through Jesus Christ and His saving blood and what it looks like in our daily walk.

We gladly welcome your comments and input.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AND since we hold our conservative values dear, we might have a thing or two to say about politics... and we can almost guarantee it won't be politically correct.



Friday, February 22, 2008

Back to Basics Part II: Lordship


Luke 6:46 "Why do you call me, 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I say? 47 As for those who come to me and hear my words and put them into practice, I will show you what they are like. 48 They are like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built. 49 But those who hear my words and do not put them into practice are like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. The moment the torrent struck that house, it collapsed and its destruction was complete." TNIV


In America today people are quick to call themselves Christians. Polling data compiled in 2001 states that 76% of American’s identify themselves as Christians. That would be roughly 159 million people. Sadly, I would have to say that a large portion of these self identified Christians have not made Jesus Lord of their life and are hardly walking out a Christian lifestyle. The reality is many of them are probably not even saved, but let’s discuss those who have received Christ as their Savior. Are they making Jesus Lord? Are you?

So many Christians today are still trying to walk around and do things their way. Sure they “serve” God on Sunday mornings, and they may read a few chapters of the Bible each week. They may even pray daily, and they certainly pray when times get tough. Jesus said in John 14:15, “If you love me obey my commandments”. He didn’t say if you love me obey me sometimes, or if you love me obey some of my commandments. No he said if you love me obey my commandments.

A question that often gets asked in today’s liberal culture is what makes a good Christian. People want to define and re-define what everything means and they want to do it on their terms. They want to decide what is right and what is wrong for them. Culture today tells us that as long as we are happy and we aren’t hurting anyone then “it is right for us”. I see this very wrong attitude trickling over into the church, and people using their own terms to define Christianity. You see we don’t need, or get to decide what is right for us. We have a manual, a blueprint. It is God’s Word. The Bible clearly tells us what is right and what is wrong and it clearly defines what it is to be a good Christian. Obedience to God, making Jesus Lord brings us in line with what the Bible says we are to do as Christians. It starts with loving God and obeying his Commandments. This means surrendering to Him and making Him Lord over you life.

2 comments:

Meems said...

They are like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built.

This is the kind of house I want!

I think you have identified something here that many don't like to think about too much... making Jesus the Lord of our lives means HE decides what our lifestyle will be. It means we say, "not my will, but yours." It means "I am not my own, but HIS".

If I love Him - I'm going to WANT to obey- because I love Him.

I appreciate your reminder of these truths. I'm saddened by the mediocrity of so many Christians. More because I feel we miss out on the deep experiences God wants to share with us when we settle for any thing less than selling out to His lordship. In turn when Christians are completely in love with God and have a vibrant relationship with Him... it will draw others to Christ... that's the most important thing!

mlm said...

Great post. I have several thoughts...will write later.