Welcome

With grateful hearts, we share our thoughts on redemption through Jesus Christ and His saving blood and what it looks like in our daily walk.

We gladly welcome your comments and input.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AND since we hold our conservative values dear, we might have a thing or two to say about politics... and we can almost guarantee it won't be politically correct.



Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Which Way Are You Running? Part I

Nathan Talbot is a welcomed guest blogger on Walk Wisely. Today's post is another contribution from him and we say a great big thank you for his wise words.

4) I sought the Lord, and He answered me; He delivered me from all my fears. 5) Those who look to Him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame. 6) This poor man called, and the Lord heard him; He saved him out of all his troubles. 7) The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him, and He delivers them. 8) Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him. Ps. 34: 4-8 (NIV)

Are you dealing with a tough situation in your life? Are you suffering patiently through something that is very painful, something you don’t understand, something you didn’t deserve? God wants to rescue you. He wants to be there for you in your time of need. He wants to give you peace, and comfort. He is willing, He is able, but we have to take the first step. We have to run to Him. Which way are you running?

I know in my own life that when painful things have come up I have run in all sorts of directions and failed to run in the one direction I should. There are many reasons for this. Sometimes I think I am big enough, or smart enough, to handle it on my own. Sometimes I think I can just overcome it with busyness, or with the right attitude. To be honest when the most painful things I have had to deal with have come up, I have thought to myself, “How can God give me a peace right now, this hurts too much? I just don’t see how He can do anything for me in this exact moment and time.”

I am here to tell you that each and every time I fully surrendered to Him and entered into His presence he has been right there to lift me up. Isiah 26:3 tells us that He will give perfect peace to those who trust in Him. God wants us to run to Him and trust Him. He doesn’t want us to deal with these things on our own. Jesus laid down His life that we might have a RELATIONSHIP with Him. When I remind myself of this I realize just how much He cares for me. He has shed His blood for me and offered Himself as a sacrifice for me. He is pursuing me with a love I can not humanly comprehend. He wants me to run to Him with every need and certainly when I am in pain.

It is not always easy to stop dwelling on the hurt long enough to truly surrender to Him and enter into His presence with a heart of thanksgiving and an attitude of trust, but if you are willing to take that first step He will honor His word and will bring comfort in the midst of any storm you may be facing. I encourage you to get off the treadmill of your own strength, and run to Him. He is waiting to lift you up, to wrap his arms around you and cover you in His love.

5 comments:

Doc Ford said...

Good comments NT. As I was reading them, I was reminded of a verse that I like to lean on in trying times.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

In fact, your best man's mother sent me a card that had a perforated bookmark with that verse on it, to encourage me during a very difficult storm in my life about 10 years ago. I still have and use the bookmark, and I still go back to that verse when I need a reminder that I'm not going to find the answers or the "fix" within my own power, but rather in the arms of a Higher Power, our Heavenly Father. It's always been a source of encouragement for me, and it seemed to fit with your post, so I thought I'd share it.

Anonymous said...

Great verse doc. It fits prefectly. Thanks for sharing.

Meems said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Meems said...

I had to delete my last comment because I left out a word when I re-read it... hate it when that happens.

NT: so often our guilt, shame and our own condemnation keeps us from running TO God when things aren't going just right.

Thanks so much for the reminder to run TO Him in good times AND in bad. He is our Father and He has called Jesus our Friend... always pursuing us with His steadfast love. The sooner we turn to him in any situation the sooner we will find peace and help in the time of need. Thanks again for sharing your heart on Walk Wisely.

Doc! Great comments... thanks so much for sharing one of my all- time favorite verses. It was perfectly stated here and I'll have to remind NT's best man's mom (whew!)what a timely card that was all those years ago... goes to show we never know how much one single effort can affect one single life.

MLM said...

NT: Great post. I'm really looking forward to part 2. I caught a sneak peek at it and it's awesome!

Doc: Thanks for stopping by and sharing. I was asked to preach Wednesday night at church and used that Jeremiah verse in my message...it was about HOPE for the New Year.