Welcome

With grateful hearts, we share our thoughts on redemption through Jesus Christ and His saving blood and what it looks like in our daily walk.

We gladly welcome your comments and input.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AND since we hold our conservative values dear, we might have a thing or two to say about politics... and we can almost guarantee it won't be politically correct.



Monday, October 22, 2007

Will You Be Ready?

I've been thinking a lot recently about forgiveness. There are some people in my life who've offended me and I've held on to those offenses like they're precious jewels or something valuable. Then there are situations, comments, actions, people in the world at large that I've taken offense regarding, and I need to let those go too. It's been said that harboring unforgiveness in your heart is like ingesting poison and waiting for the other person to die. Our unforgiveness only kills us.

You know how we like to meditate on and quote the "yummy" verses of the Bible? (By "yummy" I mean all the nice verses that make us feel good about ourselves.) Well, there are a few verses on forgiveness that really have me thinking:

Matthew 6:14-15
For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

Matthew 18:34-35
In anger his master turned him over to the jailers to be tortured, until he should pay back all he owed. This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother from your heart.

Mark 11:25
And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.

Are these verses for real?!? Jesus said these things, not me. So is Jesus telling the truth?

A lot of people sing or play this song "I Wish We'd All Been Ready" to mean that when Jesus returns only the Christians will be ready for Him and the non-Christians won't be. But will all the Christians be ready? Seems we must forgive in order to be truly ready.

2 comments:

Jane said...

I like the Tribute to DC Talk...I remember when they released that song. On a side note, did you know that Toby Mac turned 43 today?

Now, on to the post...There are a lot of verses that are hard to swallow, and you pulled several of them out. Forgiveness is definitely one of those things that are easier said than done. Personally I have found that I tend to keep a record. Sure I might "forgive" someone, but I want to be able to bring it back up at some point. That really isn't forgiving someone.

Another one of those hard verses... "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."
Matthew 7:3-5

Meems said...

mlm and jane:
all difficult verses to swallow and to live by.

i've been guilty to look at the speck ... it's one of those weaknesses i don't like about myself.

one of the hardest things about forgiveness is learning to forgive when an offense by the same person is re-opened ... forgiving again and again and again... something like 70x7.

i'll just say the one scripture that helps me forgive in the most difficult circumstances is: "And Jesus prayed, Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do..." Luke 23:34

even i think they "do" know what they do-- they couldn't REALLY know what they are doing or they wouldn't do it... just like the people who crucified Jesus.

the other thing i do is remind myself of all God has forgiven me for and then i realize there isn't anything i can't forgive someone else for. God has been so forgiving of all my errors and sins, my mistakes and my shortcomings when i don't deserve it-- it is by His grace & mercy. my hope/desire is to give back out to others what Jesus has shown to me.